Monday, January 19, 2009

Oh Baby! 1


In the last few years, my life has become a parade of pregnant women and baby births. Between the birth of my oldest child and my youngest was a scant 3 years and 7 months. Collectively, I have been pregnant almost 32 months and I have breastfed 23 months. That's nearly five years with a child attached to me in some form or fashion!
And then there's the friends and family that keep popping 'em out! :)

I wouldn't call myself an expert (Yes, I would.), but there's much more that goes into having a baby than becoming pleasantly plump and "glowing".

I hope this series gives you some information you can use, and feel free to ask questions!

First off, I'd like to tell about some books that I think are a must-read:


"She's Having a Baby... and I'm Having a Breakdown"
What Every Man Needs to Know--and Do--When the Woman He Loves Is Pregnant
by James Douglas Barron

Buy this book for your husband. Put it in a cute baby gift bag and give it to him.

Your husband does not have the same visions of pregnancy and birth that you do. Truth be told, he may not be envisioning it at all!

This book is broken down into trimesters and presents itself in list-fashion tips. The stories are heartfelt and humorous. Bonus--the author tells your man about some important guy stuff: i.e.painting the nursery before the ninth month!


Your Pregnancy Week by Week
by Glade B. Curtis, M.D., M.P.H. & Judith Schuler, M.S.

I was warned not to buy one of those pregnancy books that tells you every bad thing that could happen, but I also wanted to be educated and aware of possiblities.

This book was informative, but non-threatening. My favorite feature is the "Week-by-Week" part. You & Dad can read a few pages each week and know exactly what's going on with your little one. The size of your baby is often compared to various foods, which is both tangible and a little fun as a nickname (Hey, how's the Grape today?). There are tips for preparing for a baby logistically, physically, and mentally, tips for Dad, questions for your doctor, and the labor & delivery chapter is very good.

No comments: